After hearing so much hype surrounding acai bowls for so long, I was finally able to experience these beauts in their full glory during my travels in Bali. I was hooked after my first mouthful. Refreshing and rich in both colour and taste, I couldn’t wait to try making these delectable delights myself upon returning home. I complemented my acai bowls with a homemade coconut, chia & cinnamon buckwheat granola, striking the perfect balance between smooth and crunchy. Renown for its exceptionally high antioxidant content, this Brazilian superfood will be making a regular appearance in my breakfast bowls!
For the Coconut, Chia and Cinnamon Buckwheat Granola:
1 x tablespoon of coconut oil
1 x tablespoon of cinnamon
1 x tablespoon of high quality raw honey
3 x tablespoons of chia seeds
1 x cup of raw buckwheat grouts soaked in water overnight
1 x cup of dried coconut flakes
For the Acai Smoothie Bowl:
3 x frozen bananas
1 1/2 x cups of organic frozen blueberries
1 x cup of coconut milk
3 x teaspoons of organic pure acai powder
1/2 cup of water (optional depending on how thick you’d like your consistency to be)
1 x sliced banana
A handful of fresh blueberries
A sprinkle of chia seeds
Raw honey (optional – I find that the bananas sweeten the bowl enough)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175°C.
2. In a frying pan melt the coconut oil, honey & cinnamon over a low heat.
3. Once combined, stir in the buckwheat grouts, coconut flakes and chai seeds, making sure that everything gets nicely coated with the coconut oil blend.
4. Spread the granola onto a tray lined with parchment paper and bake for about 35 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Be sure to stir the granola every 10 minutes or so to avoid any burning.
5. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool whilst blending the acai bowl.
6. Into a blender add the frozen banana, blueberries, coconut milk and acai powder and blitz until smooth.
7. Scoop your smoothie mixture out into bowls and top them with the granola, fresh fruit and chia seeds.
8. Store the leftover granola in a clean airtight container for later!